Monday, November 27, 2006

iPod - it closes generation gaps

So I got an iPod for my birthday.
My grandfather (the one who's always about 2 drinks in & who's birthday is just a few days before mine) wanted to know how I got music, videos, photos, podcasts, etc... on the darn thing. See, we found a computer in his basement after chowing down on cold lima beans and room temperature smoked turkey. My uncle swore it was the worst dinner he'd ever had. But then again, he sells Confederate bullets for a living so I'm not sure he's the best judge.
Either way, we found this computer in the dark room with no windows just off the pool table/bar room he made in the basement. He admitted that the Dell was better than his typewriter. The 21st century is just knocking at his door.
I carefully explained how to put the software on the computer from the disk provided by the iPod company. Then I described stripping music disks into the library and subscribing to podcasts.
After he took out his magnifying glass, inspected every inch of the pod and then circled through every one of my measly 200 entries, I was declared a rocket scientist with a new-fangled device that he thought was no better than a record player.
But I had a bright idea. The Birmingham News -- a newspaper he reads religiously every day -- and the Tuscaloosa News -- another newspaper he reads religiously but only for the football chatter -- both have a little podcast. A great tool for someone who wears bifocals and uses the largest handheld magnifying glass Walmart sells.
Quickly, in my pursuit to prove the iPod is better than a turnstile, I download the podcasts, force the earphones in his head and hold my breath. Sipping his Jameson and water on the rocks, rocking in his rocking chair that faces the TV, a lopsided smile eases on his face.
He's hooked.


Now I've got to buy another one quick before my husband sees I'm missing mine.
Happy Birthday Pops!

No comments: