Thursday, November 23, 2006

Drink it Black

So my father just died. Just like that. 58 years old. I'm not sure what I should be feeling. I'm a little pissed that everyone else is living into their 80s these days and my dad goes before he's 60. It sucks for my mom...they've been married since she was 19. I'm not bitter that he's gone. Being the staunchest Catholic I know, there is not doubt he is in his Heaven. I saw the movie "The DaVinci Code" the other day. He totally bought the theory that Jesus was married and probably to Mary Magdalene. The guy was a 32-year-old Jew. Aren't they all married by 20? Or at least back then. So no shocker to me. I thought it was a great movie and my dad would have liked it too. Saw the Alabama-Auburn game too. Won't get to hear him tell his endless Bear Bryant/Alabama football stories. Maybe I watch too much TV. How are you supposed to react when a parent dies? I'm the funny one. My sister is the dramatic one (no one who knows us would believe it...that's usually me). My brother is the serious one...a little too serious for his own good. But I'm the funny one. Life's too damn crappy to take too seriously. I've been given crap about that most of my life. People think I should take everything more seriously, especially at work. Yeah...not feeling that anymore. Having a parent die puts things in perspective I think. Does it really matter that you sit all day long at your desk staring at a computer so some guy above you feels better knowing that you look busy? Nope. How about taking lunch every so often? Not at my office but I'm starting to think that is insane and I won't buy into it anymore. I'm sick of the people I work with, making the minions feel like pieces of shit because they get up to go to the bathroom. My dad worked hard all his life. One of those guys who was raised to be the breadwinner -- a dying breed, no pun intended. These days people don't want you to work hard, they want you to do enough to get by and make them look good. I work for others promotions. Sounding a little like the postal workers, huh? Not really. Just sick of being treated like the gum on someone's shoe and ironically, it's in a job I was promoted to. Please take it back! Just let me keep the stapler and demote please! My dad died. I don't care about making the bosses feel good anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your sister is the dramatic one. i'm sorry about your dad. he was a great guy!