Saturday, November 25, 2006

Frequent Flying with a Cup of Joe

In my line of work, flying is a fact of life. I live oversees and if I want to see family and friends, I have to fly. Any schools, training, seminars or conferences I go to can only be gotten to by air. Although the Queen Mary is available, I just don't have that much leave time racked up to use it. So I have to fly. Guess what? Taking off scares the hell out of me! The irony is too great to pass up, I know.
My father used to drink a lot before getting on a plane, just to make it sanely to the next terminal. I don't need to do that but there are several economy class arm rests that probably need to be recovered since it looks like Garfield spent hours sharpening his claws on them.
I especially love the announcements by pilots or flight attendants. There was one about not having enough gas. Another about having technical difficulties. Yet another about mechanical failures before takeoff. Loved sitting still for that one.
And my most recent favorite is the overhead announcement about an hour from DC for anyone who spoke Farsi to please notify a flight attendant. In this day and age, an era full of anti-extremism and I don't care what your feelings are on the subject but the fact of the matter is that the US has severe Middle East phobia right now; so when the sweet little voice comes on loudly advertising for anyone who speaks a language prevalent in Iran, the plane seems just a little heavier and a little smaller. Everyone straightens up and no one breathes. Except for the cute little old lady sitting right across from me who can't read her English version of the US Immigration Card. Who gets the last laugh now?
She does and I'm just sipping on my cup of Joe laced with a little Irish.

No comments: